SFC Rd.1: Na Fianna vs St.Colmcilles
    Senior Football Championship

    Round 1

    7th April 2019

    Na Fianna V St. Colmcilles


    St. Colmcilles started brightly and were rewarded by scoring the first three points of the game in the opening six minutes. Na Fianna’s first attempt on goal came after seven minutes when they were awarded a free, However, Shane Walsh's effort was caught by the strong wind and tailed wide of the upright. It took only a minute for Shane Walsh to make amends when he collected a pass from Michael Collin's and swept the ball over the crossbar. Shane Walsh was again on target less than a minute later when he again pointed. Na Fianna leveled the score within minutes when Seán Rafferty intercepted a pass and offloaded to Ethan Devine who slotted over.

    The strong wind was affecting both sides as both had opportunities to score but saw their efforts trail wide of the upright. Both teams were competing for every ball and the referee was having to keep a tight control on the robust challenges. Shane Walsh converted a free for Na Fianna following persistent fouling by the St. Colmcille’s defence.

    The last 5 minutes of the half saw action at both ends firstly with Shane Walsh winning a mark and then after good interplay with Ethan Devine saw Shane score Na Fianna's  5th point. St. Colmcilles immediately launched an attack and scored from a free at the other end for their 4th point. St. Colmcilles were finishing the half strongly and seemed to have most of the ball but it was the 29th minute before they scored again to level match. However in the final moments of the half with Shane Walsh playing out the field won the ball and was fouled. Shane coolly pointed the free.

    Half Time score: Na Fianne 0-06 to St. Colmcilles 0-05

    St. Colmcilles won the ball at the restart but a quick interception by Johnny Baldwin stopped their attack and gave Na Fianna the opportunity to attack. St. Colmcilles fouled to stop the attack and Shane Walsh took the free against a strong wind and as the ball dropped short Harrison Silke rose to score Na Fianna 1st goal. 

    St. Colmcilles replied almost immediately with their 1st point of the second half in the 3rd minute of the half.

    Pressure was again on the Na Fianna defenders but they stood strong and sent the ball back to their forward line to create a goal chance which was saved before the ball came back down. St. Colmcilles won the kick out and with a fast attack scored a point to bring the difference to two points. 

    Ethan Devine won the next kickout, moved the ball forward to Jamie Queeney who

    was then fouled. Shane Walsh scored the resulting free six minutes into the half. The next few minutes saw each team miss opportunities due to the wind. In the tenth minute of the half excellent fielding by Ethan Devine and a consequent strong drive forward at the defence saw him release an early ball to Jamie Queeney who was in space and he immediately attacked the St. Colmcilles goal to score Na Fianna’s second goal. Na Fianna seemed to have the upper hand at this point when Conor Downey added a point to give Na Fianna a 2-8 to 7 point lead.

    However St. Colmcilles weren’t giving up and continued to press and scored the following two points to narrow the lead. Na Fianna were reduced to fourteen players in the 16th minute of the half when James Geagan was given a second yellow. St.Colmcilles scored from the resulting free and brought the gap to four points. Another point to St.Colmcilles brought the gap even closer with only 10 minutes remaining.

    Na Fianna continued to pressurise the opposition with interceptions by Owen McDonnell and good interplay with Shane Walsh saw the latter drive his shot wide. This was quickly followed by a missed goal opportunity from substitute Luke Kelly who saw his goal bound shot blocked by the St. Colmcilles goalkeeper.  

    In the 26th minute of the half St. Colmcilles pointed to narrow the Na Fianna lead to just two points. But, again some great defending by Na Fianna including a great high interception by Sean Rafferty prevented St. Colmcilles getting any closer. 

    Na Fianna were forced into a late substitution when Jamie Queeney was forced to leave the pitch due to injury. His replacement Dan Queeney was immediately involved in the action and extended Na Fianna's advantage with a terrific point from the narrowest of angles. This was Na Fianna's first score in over ten minutes of play. St. Colmcilles tried to push for a goal but a fine save by Shane Geraghty prevented it. Na Fianna didn’t clear the ball far and St Colmcilles got a point. St Colmcilles won the resulting kick-out and scored another point in the 30th minute.

    The gap was now only a point. But Ethan Devine won the mark at the restart and

    some fine play from Owen McDonnell resulted in a Daniel Queeney goal attempt being saved by the St. Colmcilles goalkeeper at the expense of a 45 meter free. Ethan Devine kicked this 45 against a strong wind and it dropped short where a high hand by Owen McDonnell pushed the ball into the net for Na Fianna’s 3rd goal and the final score of the game. A great start to Na Fianna to the Championship. 

    Final score was

    Na Fianna 3-09 (3 frees) 

    St. Colmcille 0-14 


    1. Shane Geraghty, 2. Johnny Baldwin, 21. Sean Raftery, 4. Oisin Mc Closkey, 5. Oran Smullen, 6. Anthony Neary, 28. Peter Slevin, 11. Owen McDonnell, 9. Michael Collins, 10. Ethan Devine, 12. Jamie Queeney, 13. Connor Downey, 14. James Geagan, 15. Shane Walsh, 17. Harrison Silke



    Shane Walsh (6 points(3 Frees), Connor Downey (1 Point) , Dan Queeney (1 Point), Jamie Queeney (1 Goal), Ethan Devine (1 Point),Owen Mc Donnell (1 Goal), Harrison Silke (1 Goal)


    Subs Used:

    Luke Kelly for Harrison Silke (50 Min) and Dan Queeney (55 Min) for Jamie Queeney



    Important Contacts Na Fianna

    Secretary: Nicola Kilcoyne Email- Secretary.nafianna.meath@gaa.ie.

    PRO: Siobhán Kirby Email-  Pro.nafianna@gmail.com

    Children's Protection Officer: Jenny Boggan

    Designated Liaison Person: Carmel O'Reilly Higgins

    Appointed Mandated Person: Phillipa Flynn